How to turn off the backlight?

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sun May 22 17:41:23 PDT 2005

> Date: Sun, 22 May 2005 15:25:27 -0400
> From: Pierre-Luc Drouin <pldrouin at pldrouin.net>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Yes, I have it. But I thought there was a way to turn the backlight off
> from the terminal?

I think the problem is that the vga in FreeBSD does not support
DPMS. This is  problem on a lot of laptops, including my IBM T30.

jhb posted a patch to acpi_video to support DPMS and started working a
general vga support, but I don't think he's aver finished it and I am
still using his patch.

You can find it in the archives. Look for 'acpi_video_dpms.c'. It's been
a LONG time, but it still works. I may have made some minor adjustments
over the months that will be required to make the patch install, but
it's still working for me with -current.

If you have too much trouble getting it to apply, I can send you a copy
of the patch I am currently running.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)