Sony VAIO VGN S260 Problem with Intel 82801DB ICH4 Sound

Scott Renna srenna at lcssecuritygroup.com
Sun May 15 18:54:41 PDT 2005

Hey guys,

I've decided to give a great tool a shot called
PC-BSD(http://www.pcbsd.org).  It's a graphical installer with a bunch
of stuff prebuilt based on FreeBSD 5.3.  I'm running it very nicely on
my Sony laptop, got wireless working and all.  The only issue is the
problem of the onboard sound.

I've been looking on the groups and am having a hard time finding a
solution.  My system detects the device as pcm0 and a cat /dev/sndstat
returns information on the sound card.  Mixer settings are fine as well.
  I'm also using /boot/loader.conf

snd_ich_load="YES"

and the module shows up just fine.  I've also built a kernel with sound
and am loading the sound.ko kernel module

When running applications, such as XMMS, I can see the EQ bouncing so
sound is playing, but there is no sound coming out of the speakers at
all.  I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Anyone have any tips?

Thanks,

Scott