iwi fatal error on Dell Inspiron 6000 (debug info attached)

Ted Faber faber at isi.edu
Thu May 12 17:57:32 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 08:02:55PM +0200, Damien Bergamini wrote:
> for 2915ABG adapters, you need to run:
>
> % ifconfig iwi0 mode 11g
>
> before setting an IP address.
>
> the firmware crashes when scanning in the 5GHz band (802.11a).
> i'm working on a fix.

I thought I sent this, but I don't see it in my out box, nor have I seen
it come back in.  Apologies if this is a resend.

This improved matters a great deal for me, but I'm still unable to
associate with a wep protected network (128-bit key), though it works
like a charm for unprotected nets.  I used the same ifconfig parameters
on the iwi NIC that work for a Cisco 350 cardbus card on the protected
network, but it fails to associate.  The debug output enabled by the
sysctls indicates that the iwi hears a lot of stations announce
themselves, but none get associated.  As I say, the Cisco card on the
same machine associates properly (the cisco's an 11b, but the iwi fails
on 11b or 11g.  I associated successfully with an unlocked network in
11b mode with the iwi, so I think that's working).

The params are: wepmode on wepkey "13-char-string" weptxkey 1.  That's
after a separate ifconfig setting the mode above.

Any words of wisdom?  Should I specify the key differently to the iwi
(though ifconfig reports the value I expect)?  Can I give you more info?

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc