Laptop Networking via BT cell phone

Yann Berthier yb at bashibuzuk.net
Mon May 9 23:34:01 PDT 2005

On Mon, 09 May 2005, Daniel Rucci wrote:

> Has anyone been able to get internet access on a freebsd system
> connected to a cellphone with BT? Also, would I have better luck with
> certain phones/providers? I'd like to go with T-Mobile in which case the
> only phone i really like is the razor. I heard you need some software in
> windows called "motorolla tools" to use the cellphone for internet access...

   As it has been said, the bluetooth part is straight forward, you just
   need to follow the FreeBSD handbook.

   For the PPP/GPRS part, you have examples of configuration files here
   [1], along with the page that Randy Bush maintains here [2]

   [1] http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/coms/ppp.htm
   [2] https://rip.psg.com/~randy/gprs-ppp.html

   Now, depending of your provider (i have no experience with BT but
   this is the unfortunate case with orange.fr), it may be wise to have
   an sshd on a 443 port somewhere: some providers have the temptation
   to sell (and not cheaper with that) only a very small subset of IP:
   only the 'web' ports are unfiltered ... It may even be wiser (wiser
   than i have been, definitely) to take that criteria into account when
   choosing a provider :)

      - yann