modem/ppp

Jon Drews jon.drews at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:13:31 PDT 2005

On 5/8/05, kalin mintchev <kalin at el.net> wrote:
> hi all...
>
> need a little help to set up a pcmci modem. i've never used a modem before..
>
> this is a 3com card. and it gets recognized fine - as sio0. i have tun0.
> i'm trying to use it with ppp. i read the handbook on ppp. what confuses
> me is that the ppp.conf is setting a serial port device - cuaa1.

Hi Kalin:

Here is my ppp.conf. I am using it on  a laptop running FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE.

My PCMCIA modem is recognized as sio4:
sio4: <3Com 3CXM/3CCM556> at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 11 function 0 config
33 on pccard0

so I use /dev/cuaa4. Perhaps you should try /dev/cuaa0 ?

 Make sure you add
allow users $YOUR_ACCOUNT at the top of the ppp.conf, so you can dial
out without being root. Add your account to the operator group, in
/etc/group.

_________________________________
default:
  set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
  ident user-ppp VERSION (built COMPILATIONDATE)
  allow users xfce
 # Ensure that "device" references the correct serial port
 # for your modem. (cuaa0 = COM1, cuaa1 = COM2)
 #
  set device /dev/cuaa4

 set speed 115200
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
           \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
 set timeout 180                        # 3 minute idle timer (the default)
  enable dns                             # request DNS info (for resolv.conf)

papchap:
 #
 # edit the next three lines and replace the items in caps with
  # the values which have been assigned by your ISP.
 #

 set phone 3038241037
  set authname xxxx at worldnet.att.net
  set authkey XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR                    # Add a (sticky) default route

Kind regards,
Jonathan