Dell precision M70 ...

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Mar 29 15:28:31 PST 2005

Greg Finn wrote:

> We are considering bying a few of these hefty laptops for kernel
> development
> work. The FLCL has nothing to say about these. Does anyone have advice
> regarding FreeBSD compatibility and this laptop?

Does the NVIDIA-driver also work with the OpenGL cards?

I've had quite good luck getting my Fujitsu-Siemens E8010 to work with
FreeBSD 5.3 (S3 even worked). I needed to run VMware4, so I resorted to
SuSE 9.2 for the moment. I hope to be able to try out 5.4 and a CURRENT
snapshot later this month.

The HighEnd-versions (Celsius Mobile H210 and H230) are even "more or
less" (i.e.: on request) SuSE or RedHat certified, which could mean
better compatibility with FreeBSD, too.
The M70 only lists XP.
The ATI-cards of the higher-end Lifebook and Celsius Mobile systems may
be problem, though (I've only got a i865-gfx - I don't want to play
games and I didn't want to pay the price-tag for something I don't use).

Can't you just order one, see how it works out and return it in case it
doesn't? Depending on how large your order ("few") is, you may be able
to cut a special deal.

cheers,
Rainer

~     Rainer Duffner - rainer at ultra-secure.de     ~
~           Freising - Munich - Germany           ~
~    Unix - Linux - BSD - OpenSource - Security   ~
~  http://www.ultra-secure.de/~rainer/pubkey.pgp  ~