Sony Ericsson GC85 GPRS/EDGE pcmcia card

Espen Tagestad espen at modula.no
Mon Mar 28 23:17:00 PST 2005

Warner Losh wrote:
>>Ah. Warner would know more about these than I -- he went through quite a
>>bit of pain I believe to get them to work.
>>I believe some other vendors' bridges allow the ISA function interrupt to
>>be routed to a different IRQ than the card service interrupt, but have
>>never touched hardware with the O2Micro parts in.
>

> Yes and no.  But it isn't really relevant to newcard, which always,
> for PCI devices, uses PCI interrupts.  O2 Micro parts work fairly
> well, even.

Ok? I tried Debian once, and there I could asign different irqs for each
pcmcia device. This is a Acer Travelmate 630 with a built-in Orinoco
wireless pcmcia card. This was then asigned to irq 7, and the modem-card
got irq 11. But still, overflows occured making the connection useless.

>>The reason this is sometimes needed is that not all PCMCIA devices will
>>allow you to choose any available IRQ -- some of them will only support
>>a very limited subset of IRQs in their configuration tuples, and this
>>was the case with my smart card reader.
>

> The PC Cards have one interrupt pin, and have no knowledge of how they
> are routed.  The pccard code ignores the interrupts listed unless
> we're plugged into an ISA bridge.  So that can't be the issue.

But do you have any suggestions on what could be the problem then? I
don't have a clue anymore. I tried to disable the internal pcmcia-card
by removing device wi from my kernel configuration. The card is no
longer seen on my system, but that may doesn't mean it won't make
interrupt problems? Or could it be that this isn't a interrupt problem
at all?

Espen