Sony Ericsson GC85 GPRS/EDGE pcmcia card

Espen Tagestad espent at totem.fix.no
Mon Mar 28 03:40:39 PST 2005

Thanks for your answer.

On Sat, Mar 26, 2005 at 09:44:02PM -0800, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > The irq seems to be hardcoded to 3, but in Windows it shows up with irq
> > 7, which in the FreeBSD log I get a message like this: stray irq 7. The
> > card works well in Windows, so I don't think is a hardware problem.
>
> I've had a very, very similar problem before, with a Gemplus PCMCIA
> smartcard reader, under FreeBSD 4.x.
>
> Before anything else try hacking your /kernel.conf so that sio2 has
> the same ISA settings as under Windows. See man 5 kernel.conf for help here.

That didn't helped at all. The device (sioX) is not up when this file is
loaded, so I only get a error message here.

> Failing that, give my old 'route the PCMCIA ISA function interrupt separately
> from the ISA card service interrupt' patch at:-
> http://www.incunabulum.com/code/patches/sys/pccard-func-isa-routing.patch
>
> ...that is, assuming your PCMCIA-ISA bridge is a Ricoh chip. If it's
> another vendor, you may need to hack that patch a bit more.

It looks like it is a 02Micro OZ6933 PCI-CardBus Bridge.

> > PS. The reason why I don't run FreeBSD 5 is that it just don't work on
> > thia laptop at all.
>
> FreeBSD 5 is less likely to suffer from the same problem because the
> pcmcia/cardbus code is totally different.

I got FreeBSD 5 up and running now. I found out that the only problem
was that it had atapi dma turned on by default. I just turned it off,
and it works great even with acpi enabled.

But, the same problem occurs in FreeBSD 5 also. But there may of course
be other things to do here, than it was with FreeBSD 4. I've tried to
set the IRQ setting with device.hints, with no luck.

It also seems like pcmcia-support is fully included in the kernel, as
pccard is not running. Is that the case?

regards,

Espen