Function keys

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Thu Mar 17 08:38:37 PST 2005

> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:08:09 +0100
> From: "Michael L. Hostbaek" <mich at FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> Thiemo Nordenholz (list+ie7qf001jl79sii4) writes:
> >
> > I would then look into the audio configuration... E.g. "does mixer(8) work?"
> > Then, I would have a look into what hotkeys does to adjust the volume --
> > after all, it seems to do something which just doesn't work - but the
> > triggering of actions through the special keys has succeeded.
>
> Actually I realized that hotkeys(1) was adjusting the volume through
> SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_VOLUME - and my soundcard only responds through pcm(4)
> (for god knows what reason) - so I simply changed all instances of
> SOUND_MIXER_READ_VOLUME and SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_VOLUME to
> SOUND_MIXER_READ_PCM and SOUND_MIXER_WRITE_PCM in the hotkeys.c
>
> It works now !

It may work well enough for you, but it may only partially work and you
may lack volume control for some sources because pcm is and input level
and the volume controls should really control the output level.

Take a look at the mixer(8) channels available and see if you have an
"ogain" mixer. If so, this is Output Gain and does exactly what Volume
does on other hardware. It is a master output level and control volume
over all.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)