Out of battery indicator.

Sarunas Vancevicius svan at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Mar 8 15:07:27 PST 2005

On 19:21, Sat 05 Mar 05, Josef Karthauser wrote:
> Does anyone have a solution to running out of battery using ACPI (5.3?).
> I keep forgetting to plug in my power supply and the machine dies rather
> suddenly without beeping or giving me any warning that it was out of
> battery.
>
> Any ideas?  I would have thought that this was an O/S task rather than a
> third party app task.
>
> Joe

Hi All,

For rather complex solution:

# kldload speaker
# chmod 660 /dev/speaker

Checkout source code for battd utility in DragonFly
(http://dragonflybsd.org/cvsweb/src/usr.sbin/battd/).  Compile, install
and run it with something like:

$ battd -p 10 -e $HOME/bin/beep_speaker

And where $HOME/bin/beep_speaker:

#/bin/sh
TUNE="l2b.f+.p16a.c+.p l4mn<b.>e8a2mspg+e8c+f+8b2"
/bin/echo $TUNE > /dev/speaker

Which will play "opening bars of the theme from Star Trek Classic" when
the battery will reach approximately 10%.  There are more tunes in
src/usr.sbin/spkrtest/spkrtest.sh, and you can always make your own ;-).

A long string of 'A's will produce unpleasant beeping, which will remind
you to turn on turn on your power supply :-).

HTH.

Sarunas