sound in a 5.3 kernel ?

Lee Parsons (CCGB) lparsons at mail.ahc.umn.edu
Mon Mar 7 12:26:46 PST 2005

> Read the comments in /usr/src/UPDATING.  Then read the comments
> in /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES and /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES.  The two
> NOTES files will show you all the devices that you can add to the
> kernel.

> There's also a section of the Handbook devoted to configuring sound.
> Read through that as well.

> And finally, I've posted a How-To / walkthrough for configuring sound on
> 4.x and 5.x.  It's posted in the HowTo forum at
> http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/  Read through that as well.

> :)
> --

Thanks Freddie!  I had read both the NOTES files, and didn't seem to have
a /usr/src/UDPATING file.  But when I read through your howto I found what
I needed.  The commands involving "snd_driver" were what I was looking
for, it seems.

Now that I have my sound working, I just need to figure out how to get the
radeon mobility 7000 driver to compile on here.  But that will be another
thread.  For now, VESA works ok.

thanks again,

Lee Parsons