netgear ma521

Mark A-J. Raught (from the laptop) mraught at acm.org
Sat Jun 18 19:30:29 GMT 2005

Alex wrote:
> bit of a noob question here, i have a netgear ma521 wirless b card.
>
> When i plug it in dmesg gives me:
> cardbus1: <network, ethernet> at device 0.0 (no driver attached)
>
> nothing when i unplug.
>
> i was told that i need to install something in order to get it to
> recognize wireless cards.  do i need to recompile the kernel or
> something? hopefully this isnt too difficult to do!

I looked around a little and it looks like this card has a RealTek 8180L
chipset. I don't believe FreeBSD supports that chipset yet... However,
you should be able to get it working using the NDIS stuff (NDISulator or
Project Evil, or whatever it's called) a simple explanation is on
http://www.xl0.org/FreeBSD/ndis.txt for the semi experienced. also man
ndis. for more info google with ndis and freebsd, you should get plenty
of info.

-mark