Call for testers: New acpi_ibm driver

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Jun 1 08:15:54 PDT 2005

> From: Markus Brueffer <markus at FreeBSD.org>
> Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:57:09 +0200
> Sender: owner-freebsd-acpi at freebsd.org
>
> I'm looking for testers for a mostly rewritten and enhanced version of the>
> acpi_ibm (ACPI Thinkpad Extras) driver.
>
> You can find it along with a first draft of the new manpage at:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~markus/ibm/
>
> If you are running -CURRENT, simply replace the former driver with the new>
> one in sys/dev/acpi_support and rebuild it. (sorry, no patch for 5.x for
> now).
>
> Please mail me on failure and success and include the output of
> # sysctl hw.acpi.ibm

Success! (Except the expected things)

This is a bit of an "Me, too", but I have not seen a report on a T30, so:
> sysctl hw.acpi.ibm
hw.acpi.ibm.initialmask: 2060
hw.acpi.ibm.availmask: 2252
hw.acpi.ibm.events: 0
hw.acpi.ibm.eventmask: 2060
hw.acpi.ibm.hotkey: 288
hw.acpi.ibm.lcd_brightness: 7
hw.acpi.ibm.volume: 9
hw.acpi.ibm.mute: 0
hw.acpi.ibm.thinklight: 0
hw.acpi.ibm.bluetooth: 0
hw.acpi.ibm.wlan: 0
hw.acpi.ibm.fan_rpm: 3738
hw.acpi.ibm.fan_status: 1
hw.acpi.ibm.thermal: 48 49 50 -1 32 31 26 28

I'm still trying to track down which thermal is which. Volume,
lcd_brightness, mute, thinklight, fan_rpm, fan_status and thermal all
work. As generally reported, wlan is non-functional. I think that this
is simply that the FreeBSD wireless drivers don't have code to turn off
the radio. I suspect that the BIOS is doing the right thing and FreeBSD
is not (yet).

> In any case: Please send me your DSDT for further improvement of the driver
>
> (even if you run FreeBSD 5):
> # acpidump -t -d > name-system.asl

http://home.comcast.net/~k.oberman/FreeBSD/T30.asl

Thanks for doing all of this work. It looks great!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)