Disgusting wireless with Compaq v2310

Pete Carah pete at altadena.net
Mon Jul 25 22:09:50 GMT 2005

I attempted to change my wireless card from the provided Broadcom to a
more usable Atheros one and to my disgust, apparently Compaq detects this
in the bios and won't even give me the banner screen.  Instead it just
blinks the caps and num lock lights quick-on long-off and refuses to boot.
Is there a bypass to this?  I've tried various F keys and other such...
and control-alt combinations, and fn-alt etc.

It *will* boot with the wireless card totally removed.

Does anyone know how to do this right and/or does ndis work on the
amd64 now?  (I am using WPA (with 1x) several places and the atheros
is a nice card for this purpose...)  (i.e. does ndis handle wpa on the
broadcom anyhow, especially on the AMD64?)

Waiting for X11 too...  (that is already in process with several folks.)

-- Pete