WPC54G assistance needed

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Fri Jul 8 19:16:54 GMT 2005

> From: Bryan Maynard <bryan.maynard at reallm.com>
> Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 14:00:58 +0000
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile at freebsd.org
>
> FYI: I got my WPC11 ver.4 owrking using ndisgen. I am still having prolems
> though. . .
>
> It's probably just because I'm somewhat of a n00b. . . :-D My problem is: I do
> not know how to bring my ndis0 interface up and select it over my on-baird
> NIC. My wireless network is not ecnrypted (please don't flame me. . . I have
> Xbox live - which doesn't work with and ecnrypted wireless network).
>
> After successfully kldloading I enter:
>
> laptop#ifconfig ndis0 channel 6
> laptop#ifconfig ndis0 ssid "maynards"
> laptop#ifconfig ndis0 up
>
> and get this:
>
> xl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         options=9<RXCSUM,VLAN_MTU>
>         inet 192.168.1.100 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:04:76:48:93:01
>         media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
>         status: active
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
>         inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
> ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         ether 00:0f:66:cf:10:7e
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
>         status: associated
>         ssid maynards 1:maynards
>         channel 6 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
>         rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
>         wepmode OFF weptxkey 1
>
> Two questions:
> 1) is this interface ready to use?

Depends on how you define "ready". It's associated with the AP, but it
is not configured. You need to either have it use DHCP to get an address
or manually specify one.

I'm guessing that you have an AP/router that does DHCP, so this would
probably be easiest to set up. Just put the following into /etc/rc.conf:
ifconfig_ndis0="ssid maynards DHCP"

> 2) how do I select this interface?
Before bringing up the wireless interface, shut down xl0:
ifconfig xl0 down
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)