Samsung X20-XVM 1600-V

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Jul 7 13:18:31 GMT 2005

Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
 > I couldn't yet get 1400x1050 to work on my FSC Lifebook E8010 (i855GM).
 > I used i855ctl, but it only works (=has a positive effect) with SuSE 9.2.

There's a tool called "855resolution" (which supposedly
also supports the i915 and others), and an enhanced
version called "915resolution".  It is for Linux, but
shouldn't be difficult to port to FreeBSD.  Some URLs:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/apoirier/
http://www.geocities.com/stomljen/

Someone ported it to FreeBSD (you need to recompile the
enclosed *.c file manually, it seems):

http://people.tecnik93.com/~acpi_perf/

Dislaimer:  I haven't tried any of the above.  But I
suggest you give it a try, if you haven't already.

 > [...]
 > Currently, IBMs seem to be "best supported" by the FreeBSD
 > dev-community, if my observations are correct.
 > As an alternative, you could also look into HPs NX70xx or 6xxx-series
 > (and buy additional warranty).

They're simply too expensive.

 > As for the Samsung - well, they're consumer-level notebooks

Not a problem, I _am_ a consumer.  :-)

 > and you'll get consumer-level support only (if at all).

They give a 2-year pick-up warranty.  What more could I
ask for?  I'm also very satisfied with Samsung's service
on harddisk.  I've recently had a broken Samsung IDE HDD
(slightly more than 2 years old).  I called their hotline
and was told that the drive has 3 years of warranty, and
got instructed to package and send them the HDD for re-
placement.  When I told the guy that I use BSD instead of
Windows, he even suggested to include a hardcopy of the
system log which contains applicable error messages from
the drive.

Samsung may be "consumer-level", but I'm quite satisfied
with their service.

Best regards
   Oliver

"The scanf() function is a large and complex beast that often does
something almost but not quite entirely unlike what you desired."
        -- Chris Torek