PCCard bus don't work

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Sat Jul 2 16:47:39 GMT 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 01:50:56 +0800 (CST) I wrote:

 > I have a very old Laptop (IBM Thinkpad 740XL, Pentium 166) which
 > works fine with FreeBSD 4.10. I want to install FreeBSD 5.3 just for
 > fun, but it seems that GENERIC kernel doesn't get the PCCard bus
 > running ("Unable to map IRQ..."). Is there anything that I can do?
 > Freeing or remapping IRQ with IBMs tool PS2.EXE didn't help.
 >
 > Regards Björn
 >
 > pcib0: <Host to PCI bridge> pcibus 0 on motherboard
 > pci0: <PCI bus> on pcib0
 > isab0: <PCI-ISA bridge> at device 1.0 on pci0
 > isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
 > cbb0: <TI1130 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x10811000-0x10811fff at
 > device 2.0 on pci 0=20
 > cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
 > pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
 > cbb: Unable to map IRQ...
 > device_attach: cbb0 attach returned 12
 > cbb1: <TI1130 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x10810000-0x10810fff at
 > device 2.1 on pci 0
 > cardbus1: <CardBus bus> on cbb1
 > pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
 > cbb: Unable to map IRQ=E2=80=A6
 > device_attach: cbb1 attach returned 12

Hello,

I had success with my old laptop and FreeBSD 5.x now. I compiled a new
set of installation floppies with the pccard daemon and using

     device      pcic
     device      card

instead of

     device      cbb
     device      pccard
     device      cardbus

in the kernel. The old pccard bus driver uses a polling mode if he is
not able to map an IRQ. It seems like that the new driver won't do this.
Is there a specific reason why this was not implemented? Is this still
possible or isn't it worth because too less hardware demands it anymore?

Thanks in advance
Björn