Trouble with APM suspend in 5.3-R

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Jan 29 18:58:09 PST 2005

> Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:20:37 -0800
> From: Dave Walton <dwalton at acm.org>
>
> That sounds like what APM in plain 5.3-R does on my ThinkPad 770Z.  Try
> upgrading ata_all.c to version 1.233 from CVS.  That fixed suspend for
> me.  Whether you'll have problems with resume is another question
> entirely...
>
> Dave
>

> Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. For some time I have been using ACPI on Stable on my ThinkPad T30,
> > but I thought I should make sure that it still worked with APM and...
> > I can no longer suspend my system with APM. I enter 'zzz' and get a
> > return and a prompt with no other messages, and the system is locked up
> > and requires a system reset and reboot.
> >
> > While I plan on switching back to ACPI, APM worked for a long time on
> > this system and really should still work. I recall reports of APM
> > problems on Stable a while back, but I thought that the problem had been
> > resolved.

Thanks, Dave.

This is an odd one. One of the changes in 1.233 was MFC'ed in 1.222.2.5,
but the second part, describes as:
Cosmetic change to suspend, dont call tsleep an extra time at exit.
has never been MFCed for some reason. I'm copying Søren in hoes that he
will MFC the remainder of 1.233.

It does allow my system to suspend just fine, but it now locks up with
the disk active on resume :-(

I'll have to try the patch Gleb posted to see if it fixes this one!
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)