ath: a few questions

Kris Maglione bsdaemon at comcast.net
Tue Jan 18 06:34:48 PST 2005

My card is the netgear WG511U

First, I can't get the card to hop channels in kismet. There was a
similar posting to this list a few months ago, but the author retracted
it. I get these warnings when starting the server:

WARNING:  pcap reports link type of EN10MB but we'll fake it on BSD.
This may not work the way we want it to.
WARNING:  Some Free- and Net- BSD drivers do not report rfmon packets
correctly.  Kismet will probably not run correctly.  For better
support, you should upgrade to a version of *BSD with Radiotap.

If I press L in the client, I get:
server does not have channel hopping enabled

Second, according to CVS, hw.ath.outdoors was made tunable a year ago, but sysctl says it's readonly when I try to change it. It's stuck at 1, which seems to be a possible explanation for why it's indoor use sucks so badly compared to the windows driver, especially through walls.

Third, the operation sucks compared to the windows driver, especially through walls. If there's a wall between me and the AP, it won't associate. If it's already associated, and I move past a wall, it stays associated, but won't transfer traffic. Neither of these problems exists with the windows driver.

Last, dstumbler doesn't work. It complains, something about ioctl. I don't feel like booting the laptop to get the exact messate at the moment, but I will later.

Any ideas on anything?

Thanks, sorry for the long message.