the mystery of atwi

john john at strapped.us
Fri Jan 14 14:03:12 PST 2005

Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> The dmesg you've provided doesn't contain any information about attached
> usb devices, so it's impossible to offer any productive advice.
>
> Can you post the output of 'usbdevs -v' (preferably without any USB
> device
> drivers loaded, but with the ohci bus driver loaded), and run
> ports/sysutils/udesc_dump to dump the USB device descriptor of the
> embedded USB radio device?
>
> You *may* need to use a BIOS hotkey of some kind to detach and reattach
> the USB radio device from the internal USB bus. This is certainly the
> case with the IBM T4x series embedded Bluetooth adapters, and other
> laptops with embedded USB wi-fi parts I've seen.

You are correct, there is a hotkey that attaches and detaches the device.
I hope this will provide you with the information you need. Thanks.

--
.j.k

usbdevs -v
---------------------
Controller /dev/usb0:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000),
NEC(0x0000), rev 1.00
port 1 powered
port 2 powered
port 3 addr 2: full speed, self powered, config 1, Compaq WLAN MultiPort
W200(0x0076), Compaq(0x049f), rev 0.00
Controller /dev/usb1:
addr 1: full speed, self powered, config 1, OHCI root hub(0x0000),
NEC(0x0000), rev 1.00
port 1 powered
port 2 powered

udesc_dump
-----------------------

Standard Device Descriptor:
bLength 18
bDescriptorType 01
bcdUSB 0110
bDeviceClass 00
bDeviceSubClass 00
bDeviceProtocol 00
bMaxPacketSize 64
idVendor 049f
idProduct 0076
bcdDevice 0000
iManufacturer 0
iProduct 1
iSerialNumber 2
bNumConfigurations 1

Configuration 0:
Standard Configuration Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 02
wTotalLength 42
bNumInterface 1
bConfigurationValue 1
iConfiguration 0
bmAttributes c0 (self-powered)
bMaxPower 210 (420 mA)

Standard Interface Descriptor:
bLength 9
bDescriptorType 04
bInterfaceNumber 0
bAlternateSetting 0
bNumEndpoints 3
bInterfaceClass ff
bInterfaceSubClass 00
bInterfaceProtocol 00
iInterface 0

Standard Interface Power Descriptor:
bLength 3
bDescriptorType 08
bmCapabilitiesFlags 0f (receives D0, D1, D2, D3)

Standard Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 05
bEndpointAddress 81 (in)
bmAttributes 03 (Interrupt)
wMaxPacketSize 64
bInterval 1

Standard Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 05
bEndpointAddress 82 (in)
bmAttributes 02 (Bulk)
wMaxPacketSize 64
bInterval 0

Standard Endpoint Descriptor:
bLength 7
bDescriptorType 05
bEndpointAddress 02 (out)
bmAttributes 02 (Bulk)
wMaxPacketSize 64
bInterval 0

Codes Representing Languages by the Device:
bLength 4
bDescriptorType 03
wLANGID[0] 0409

String (index 1): Compaq WLAN MultiPort W200......

String (index 2): PG37JL9AZL3F....................