IBM T42p Hard Drive Issue

D. Wylie d.wylie at hccnet.nl
Wed Jan 5 09:50:17 PST 2005

Thomas Beer wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I would like to install 5.x on a ThinkPad living with XP.
>I repartitioned the hard drive and get a geometry error
>every time in fdisk. Could I install 4.x and than
>change to 5.3 or what would be the proper way to
>install 5.x?
>
>Cheers Tom

Hello Thomas,

What error.
Are you saying the error doesn't appear with fdisk from 4.x but only
with fdisk from 5.x?
What about fdisking under 4.x, quit, start 5.x install.
As far as I know, 4.x and 5.x are seriously different and that change
you speak of  is headache material.
Perhaps though, you can do a minimum 4.x istall and have a 5.x install
destroy all the data, but use the existing partions.
Have you done a search for 5.x on thinkpad? I think it its a common fbsd
victim.
Especially check out any special actions that you may need to take
concerning a suspend partition
which probably already exists for xp, so the question is; can you use it
for fbsd?
Don't know the details, but seen the subject discussed here and there.
And don't forget about freesbie.

Dylan.