Problems installing on Sager Laptop

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Jan 4 15:14:41 PST 2005

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 06:00:44PM -0500, Jerry Sloan wrote:
> Brooks Davis wrote:
>
> >On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:49:40AM -0500, Jerry Sloan wrote:
> >
> >>I am attempting to do an ftp install of FreeBSD release on an older
> >>Sager laptop. Pentium MMX. I go through the floppy part and when I am
> >>able to setup partitions it says No Disk found. The boot floppy finds
> >>the disk as disk1. Any and all help will be appreciated.
> >
> >You're going to have to provide a lot more information for use to do
> >anything for you.
> >
> >Which version of FreeBSD are you using?  What do you mean by "The boot
> >floppy finds the disk as disk1"?  Can you see anything that looks like a
> >disk drive or controler in the dmesg?
>
> Sorry for not being more specific. I am trying to install 5.3 Release
> over the net. When I boot from the boot floppy to do the setup one of
> the first things I see on the screen BIOS drive c: =disk1. I'm not sure
> if a controller or hard drive is showing in dmesg since it moves by so
> fast, and it isn't being created anywhere.

Appearing in the BIOS means that the BIOS knows how to talk to it,
nothing more nothing less.  For all we know it could be a clay-tablet
printer/scanner system. :-)  It would be really nice if you could find a
way to get the dmesg, but I'm not sure what sort of options you'll have.
Perhaps a fixit floppy.

Could you try 4.10 or a 4.11 RC?  It seems likely you have an ATA
controller that we aren't supporting, but it's hard to say.  It's
entirely possible it's supported in an older version and support was
accidentally dropped because no one else has such a beast.  Certainly
Pentium class laptops tend to be a bit weird.  I wouldn't really expect
one to work well with 5.3.

-- Brooks