Thinkpad 600e interrupt storm

Understudy list at understudy.net
Thu Feb 24 22:23:41 GMT 2005

Karel Miklav wrote:

> Understudy wrote:
>
>> Well this weekend has been one disaster after another.
>

> I wasted couple of months configuring my TP 600E. However, I was
> determined to get a notebook with FreBSD and I was willing to
> sacrifice some resources. You should probably take a break now and
> think about how much does it mean to you. Then if you decide not to
> give up, reset the BIOS, reset your BIOS and don't forget to reset the
> BIOS then start systematically playing with PS2. Check out Linux sites
> with TP600E info, there is a Debian guy who's figured it out. And yea,
> your notebook will never be fully functional under FreeBSD, do you
> realize that?
>
> --
>
> Regards,
> Karel Miklav

Yeah I definitely needed to take a step back from working on it. I
decided as a stress releaver to close down a few orphanages, rip the
wings off of flies, and pour salt on slugs. I will go back into it and
try again. The problem is the paperwork doesn't show how to do a reset
on the BIOS and closing down IRQs on this type of BIOS is not an easy
thing if you are not familiar with it. I am not and I fear causing some
of the very problems I had happen. I was able to finally get it back to
where it was where I am still getting my interrupt storms same as
before. Except I had to get a Different NIC as it would no longer work
with my previous NIC.

And yea, your notebook will never be fully functional under FreeBSD, do
you realize that?

No I don't . It worked fine under 4.x. It should do the same under 5.x.
My knowledge level is low with a high expectation level. It's a
dangerous combination but I have faith. I hope that before 5.4 STABLE is
released that most of these issues are dealt with. I don't code so I can
create the solutions. I can only note the issues and try to implement
the solutions suggested by others and report back on my findings.
It's  a sucky situation but it is my way to contribute. This thread has
been long and the people have been extremely helpful, but  it isn't over
yet.  I want to be able to try to help find a solution to this. I will
to admit great nervousnous as I work with this laptop and losing it
would suck. It's not a server but it is my main computer for me to work
with.

I still believe that there should be an easier answer than having to use
the PS2 utility but I don't know how to write one.

Sincerely,
Brendhan