Thinkpad 600e interrupt storm

Understudy list at understudy.net
Fri Feb 18 00:37:06 GMT 2005

>>> Which ps2 utility did you use and what did you arrange your IRQs to
>>> be set at.?
>>>

>> The ps2 utility is available at the IBM website. Just search the
>> downloads for your TP model number. You will need a bootable DOS
>> partition, floppy or cdrom for this.

I have downloaded 1yu603us.exe
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/license.do?filename=mobiles/1yu603us.exe>
which I believe to be the ps2 utility you were talking about.
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-4ZFPEG

Here is my silly question. How do get this file on a floppy when it is a
windows .exe?

>>> Are you using a IBM thinkpad 600e or another laptop. If so which
>>> model?
>>

>> Yes, it's a TP600e (model-no. 2645-8A0).
>>

> Okay I have a 2645-8AU
>

>>> If you are using the 600e would please post the following information:
>>> What you set your IRQs at with the PS2 utility?
>>>

>> `ps2 pciirq 10 11'
>>
>> Disable modem, midi, serial ports, parallel port and audio for testing
>> (use `ps2 ? irq' to list any irq used by the TP and turn anything off
>> that you don't need).
>>
>> The above setup puts uhci0 and cbb0 on irq 11, and cbb1 on irq 10 for
>> me. As long as I don't use cbb0, I don't get any interrupt storm
>> messages and there are no device slowdowns.
>>
>> I didn't do any further tests to get the other cardbus slot working
>> without device slowdowns as well. But I'm sure that it is resolvable
>> through further playing with the irq setup.
>>
>> The important thing here is not to give up testing until you have
>> a working IRQ setup.
>
> So basically you can use only the bottom pcmcia slot. That is fine for
> me. I don't plan on using the machine as a gateway.
>

>>> The results of uname -r
>>>

>> FreeBSD 5.3-STABLE #10: Wed Feb  9 17:52:53 CET 2005
>>

> Okay here is where things begin to differ for me.
> [bhorne at Slacker:bhorne, 05:37 PM, Sat Feb 12]>uname -r
> 5.3-RELEASE
> I think I may need to do a cvsup and make sure I get a stable. I did a
> iso download. I thought I had grabbed a stable maybe not.
>

>>> A copy of your kernel.
>>>

>> GENERIC, with NEWCARD enabled and useless stuff commented out.
>> Watch to load snd_mss, usb and network devices as modules to get
>> suspend working.
>>

> Okay things are really different for me here I went with GENERIC with
> useless stuff commented out and OLDCARD. I think that is all I did. I
> have not done anything with sound. I am don't think I did anything
> that would make usb and network items load as modules. They are there
> in the kernel. I never understood the suspense issue.

I have downloaded RELENG_5 which I believe is 5.x STABLE I am going to
make world to that in a day or two. I hope this will help.

>>> A copy of your device.hints.
>>>

>> Default device.hints with acpi enabled, apm disabled.
>>

> Okay again I went different here. I believe I have acpi disabled and
> apm enabled. I got all of my information from google searches when I
> was trying to deal with the interrupt storm.
> You can read my device.hints at
> http://www.understudy.net/files/devicehints.txt . Take a look and tell
> me what you would change. I don't even remember what the original
> untouched one looks like.
>

>>> A copy of your dmesg.
>>>

>> I don't think it'd be helpful in any way to post it here.
>> If you really need it, drop me a mail.
>>

>>> A copy of any customizing you have done to your /usr/src/ files.
>>>

>> I didn't customize anything in the sources that has to do with the
>> TP600E.
>>

>>> This seems somewhat encouraging, I hope it can solve my problem with
>>> the interrupt storm. I get that one solved I will go onto other issues.
>>>

>> As long the message is your only problem with no device slowdowns
>> coming up, just ignore it.

Sincerely,
Brendhan