Choosing to install turns off laptop. HD is untouched.

Ron Freidel rfreidel at onewest.net
Tue Feb 15 02:19:37 GMT 2005

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 00:42:48 +0000
"Mark A-J. Raught" <mraught at acm.org> wrote:

> Please note I am NOT knocking FreeBSD in any way. I run 5 on my current
> laptop (it is fantastic) and 4.stable on several desktop and servers
> (also fantastic... the OS, not my ability to run it). I really
> appreciate all of the hard work that everyone does for the OS. I just
> thought with the popularity of HP/Compaq machines that this would be
> fixed quicker than it has.

While my post may not actually answer the original post's question, not even the second, I hope in my own twisted way that there may be some relevance...

When I shopped for a new laptop, rather than trying the ones available with a boot cd (I would have done so if more stores were in the area) I checked the dmesg list at ...
http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=dmesgd
finally settled on a Dell i8600. Pretty much everything works except for the nvidia.com driver, and the win modem, but I never use a modem anyway, and 3d support isn't as important to me as an operating system that works. But who knows... maybe in a year nvidia will release a new driver.

I planned to install FreeBSD on any new laptop I purchased, I just wanted to make sure there were no issues.

Ron

--
My personal signature...

5.3-RELEASE-p5