NDISulator and Dell wireless 1350 MiniPCI

Carsten Zimmermann carp at hacksocke.de
Fri Feb 4 08:18:24 PST 2005

Hi there,

I can hardly imagine that this problem hasn't been (discussed|solved)
before, but as google showed up with nothing, I'll go this way...

I have aquired a Dell Insprion 1150 with a Dell wireless 1350 MiniPCI 11g
card. I have compiled and loaded the ndis.ko and also the if_ndis.ko. The
driver loads successfully and the interface ndis0 appears.

However, I cannot change any ifconfig values through ifconfig. The
interface ndis0 ignores every setting. `sysctl -a |grep ndis0` returns no
entries, so changing preferences via sysctl is also not possible.

I used the recent Dell drivers from their website (R83097.EXE), expanded
the selfextracting archive through wine and found two(!) *.inf and *.sys
files. I don't exactly know which drivers to chose, there were subdirs
called "AR" and "IR" with same contents (well they do differ in filesize).
I tried both drivers.

The *.inf file is a utf-16 little endian file, as file(1) told me. `iconv
-f UTF-16LE -t ASCII` couldn't convert, so what I did was deleting the
blurb of UTF-16 locale strings out of the file and conversion went to a
success. I don't know if this might have caused the problem I am
encountering.

Has anyone some hints or succes stories for me?

Thanks a lot!
- Carsten

--
Carsten Zimmermann