3Com Megahertz 3CXM756 PCMCIA modem on 5.3

Duane Winner dwinner-lists at att.net
Thu Feb 3 14:15:34 PST 2005

> I was just wondering what the status of this is, if any. I'm about
> commit our in-house installation procedures for 5.3, and others on my
> team are going to want to migrate soon, but lack of PPP support on our
> laptops isn't going to fly over too well, especially now that there is
> some travelling going on. We want to stick to -release, as opposed to
> -stable.
>
> I was thinking, I figure we have three possible options:
>
> 1. If your patch is going to get merged into 5.3-release, that would
> be the best route; but if that isn't going to happen, or not soon:
>
> 2. Could we manually apply your patch to /usr/src after cvsup'ing
> before buildword/buildkernel?

For what it's worth, I answered my own question by finding version
1.17.2.1 of exca.c up on the cvs tree and replaced
/usr/src/sys/dev/exca/exca.c in my 5.3 src tree. Rebuilt kernel, and
voila! I can use my modem on 5.3-release!

Maybe not the most graceful way of going about it (and i'll have to
remember to watch this when I cvsup and get a patch for /usr/src,
right?), but it works for me and is close for folk music.

I'm assuming this will make it into 5.4?

Thanks again,
Duane