Getting High resolution console and Xorg to coexist

Mervin McDougall mcd_advisory at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 30 05:56:24 PST 2005

--- Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova at fbsd.ru> wrote:

> ÷ ÞÔ, 29/12/2005 × 15:31 -0800, Mervin McDougall
> ÐÉÛÅÔ:
> > Hi all
> >   I recently installed freebsd 6.0 on my laptop, a
> > compaq presario 2100. Thus far I am satisfied with
> > just about everything that I have been able to
> > accomplish on freebsd. However, I tried setting
> the
> > high resolution console using the raster graphics
> on
> > freebsd and this has had some undesirable results.
>
> >   After recompiling my kernel and getting the
> > resolution of the console to 1024x768 I tried
> playing
> > music on my xmms player and switching between xorg
> and
> > the virtual console and there would be some
> > degradation of the sound. I am not sure whether
> there
> > is an increased load on the kernel whenever
> switching
> > between the two interfaces but I have notice some
> > spiking on xload when switching between the two.
> >   I took a friends advice and increased the pcm
> > buffersize and the irqrate but this has had no
> effect
> > in improving the sound quality. I have noticed as
> well
> > that when reading long files, there is also a
> > degradation of sound quality. For example while
> > reading NOTES in /usr/src/sys/i386/conf the sound
> from
> > xmms, which was being played on xfce, would slow
> down
> > as I paged through the document or when scrolled
> > through line by line using the arrowpad.
> >    I am not sure what is causing the problem or
> why it
> > is behaving in this manner but I would be more
> than
> > happy to provide any extra information about the
> > problem. I had an opportunity to scan through the
> > mailing lists for similar problems but did not
> find
> > one that quite fit this descritption.
> >
> > Any assistance would be appreciated
>
> Actually I have similar problem, on my Sony VAIO Z1,
> I have 1400x1050
> raster console and X.
>
> I am rare switch vty from X to console and bac, but
> when I did it I always experience some significant
> delay (usually 1-3
> sec, already reported here some times ago).
> Sometimes instead of delay I get lockup - system
> freezes and do not
> answer any activity.
>
> Probability of frees grow with delay time (looks
> like).
> Delay time is grow with system load (looks like).
>
> No any ideas hot to cure the problem.
>
> I have fresh 7-CURRENT.
>
> > Mervin McDougall
>
> --
> Vladimir B. Grebenschikov
> vova at fbsd.ru

Vladimir
  I think I got the solution to the problem. I spent
some time pondering on the problem and a friend of
mine and I thought the solution to the problem is one
of two things. Either there was a redesign of the
syscons driver for the high resolution console or
perhaps the use of a different sound arhitechture. So,
I decided to take the easy route and try out the
4front OSS drivers for freebsd. Since then the problem
has been fixed. There is no longer any problem with
switching between Xorg and high resolution console.  I
suggest you try it.

http://www.opensound.com/
The site above is the site for 4front technologies

Mervin McDougall