Kernel crashes while installing on a Toshiba laptop

Guillaume Ballet gballet at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:33:08 PST 2005

Hello,

I tried to install FreeBSD on a (Japanese) Toshiba PX/410 laptop, which has
a Celeron M processor and a firewire port.
When the kernel boot, after the boot menu, I get something like

config 1 on pccard0
NMI ISA a1, EISA ff
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.

Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode

The strange thing is that a quick grep through the sources seems to point at
the code for amd64, and it shouldn't as I don't have one.
The faulty process is "swapper".

I saw, after browsing the mailling-list, that some people had this problem
on other machines and attributed it to the Firewire controller.
Has anyone made any progress on this and found a simpler solution than
compiling a special kernel and making your own install-cd?

Sincerely,
Guillaume.