Release 6.0 laptop network interface configuration.

martinko martinkov at pobox.sk
Sat Dec 17 10:01:33 PST 2005

Craig Boston wrote:
> Brooks Davis Wrote:
>
>>On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 08:26:47PM -0800, George Hartzell wrote:
>>
>>>The problem is that I can't seem to keep all of the interfaces from
>>>automagically configuring.
>>
>>Add the NOAUTO keyword to both of them.
>

> Is there a way to do the exact opposite of this?  What I mean is that
> for a laptop with integrated network, a way to set it so that dhclient
> is launched by devd when a cable is attached, but to NOT run dhclient on
> bootup (and sit there for 10 seconds on bootup waiting for a link).

just for your info:
i had this experience of waiting for rather long time for dhclient on
5.x. since it was replaced by openbsd's one in 6.0, it just configures
my interface instantly. also it solved my problem with sk(4) not being
ready on boot (which i had to workaround using /etc/start_if.sk0)

m.