Dell 1450 usb wireless card w/ FreeBSD 6.0

Matthew David Parker matparke at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Dec 15 12:14:39 PST 2005

Hi,

I'm trying to get a 1450 Dell wireless usb card working here in FreeBSD
6.0.  I opened up the card casing and the chips inside say "conexant", and
it's some sort of prism2.

I couldn't find any drivers to use that were native to freeBSD so I tried
to do the NDISulator.  I did ndisgen on my inf and sys files and it seemed
to work perfectly, generating a file named PRISMA02_sys.ko, which I put
into /boot/kernel.

So I plugged the card into the USB slot and here is the dmesg:

ugen0: DELL Dell Wireless 1450 Dual-band (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 Adapter,
rev 2.00/10.50, addr 2

Then I did:
kldload ndis

which loaded if_ndis as well:
kldstat:
 4    2 0xc0e0b000 c960     if_ndis.ko
 5    3 0xc0e18000 173c4    ndis.ko

Then I did:
kldload PRISMA02_sys.ko

It loads the module but doesn't say anything, no errors, nothing.

kldstat has this new line:
 7    1 0xc243f000 59000    PRISMA02_sys.ko

The little lights on my wireless card don't turn on, and there is
absoletely nothing new added to dmesg, nor is there any new device added
when I do "ifconfig".

Am I missing something here?  Do I have to compile the module specifically
for USB?  Do I have to manually create a device in /dev ?

Thanks,
Matt