6-STABLE, ath, wpa_supplicant/dhcp and suspend/resume problem.

George Hartzell hartzell at kestrel.alerce.com
Wed Dec 14 17:58:29 PST 2005

Sam Leffler writes:
 > [...]
 > Please send me your wpa_supplicant.conf file offline and I'll see if I
 > can recreate what's going on.  It may be something specific to WEP
 > though I can't imagine why.

Hi Sam and -mobile,

I've been poking around looking for clues to my problem [IBM T42p,
6-Stable, ath0 doesn't work after a suspend/resume cycle] and have an
observation that might be a clue.

I've been running /etc/rc.d/netif restart ath0 to get the interface
working again.

I've discovered that if I suspend/resume, then run an

  ifconfig ath0 scan

as root the already-running wpa_suplicant wakes up.

Using wpa_supplicant w/ -d flags and watching ktrace/kdump -l output,
it looks like when the machine resumes wpa_supplicant starts a scan
but it blocks.  Running a scan elsewhere seems to break it loose.

Does anything in that observation give you a clue as to where I might
look next?

Thanks,

g.