HP zd8000 laptop problems- nothing to do with FreeBSD

Rob Lytle europa100 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 21:01:17 PST 2005

It didn't take me long at www.zd7000forums.com to realize that my
laptop problems probably have nothing to do with FreeBSD.  An entire
domain that exists for people to complain about the zd7000 and zd8000
laptops.

I am glad I have a sense of humor about this.  Actually I am lucky.  I
am only having an occasional spontaneous reboot, and my battery (even
under Windoze) can't handle the full current draw of the laptop, so it
overheats and thermal shutdown in the battery powers everything off.
Some people are not so lucky and their battery burns up.  And the
graphics card for my laptop hasn't burnt up yet, but then I don't do
any gaming.

I did flash the bios though to the latest.  But according to the
forums, there is no magic bullets for these units.  Did Carly Fiorina
design this model herself?  Oh, I forgot, they fired her.

Rob.