Thinkpad 365 + FreeBSD 6.0 + pccard

John Nielsen lists at jnielsen.net
Tue Aug 30 18:55:31 GMT 2005

I am attempting to install FreeBSD 6.0-BETA3 on a (slightly ancient)
Thinkpad 365XD.  It doesn't have any built-in ethernet or wireless devices,
so I need to be able to use PC card adapters.  Specifically, I have an
Intel Pro/Wireless 2011 (wi) card and a 3com 3c589 variant (ep).

I know the machine works with OLDCARD on 5.x, but I'd prefer to use 6.x if
possible (partly to find out if it can be done, partly for consistency with
other machines and build environments, partly because Warner said at one
point he'd like to support older hardware with cbb and friends).

Booting a 6.0-BETA3 GENERIC kernel on the laptop doesn't list any cbb or
pccard devices. I have several questions:

What additional information would help to diagnose the problem?

What should I try to see if it can be coaxed to work without any code
changes?

If code changes are required, what list or individual is best to work with
in order to produce and test patches?

(Does M. Warner Losh read this list?)

Thanks,

JN