sprintpcs treo 650 & blutooth & dialup networking

Maksim Yevmenkin maksim.yevmenkin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:14:21 GMT 2005

Hello,

> I am trying to use a sprintpcs treo 650 for connecting to the
> 'net.  So far I can l2ping the treo, enable `pairing' between

well, sprint pcs is _not_ a gsm service (as far as i know). its cdma.
with gsm service you can subscribe to so called "mobile internet"
service which uses gprs as a transport. most (all?) gsm operators have
two choices:

1) wap over gprs - typically it means that you can only browse
internet from the phone only. you can only access the internet if the
device supports wap. this is usually the cheapest grps service you can
get from a gsm operator

2) ip over grps - typically means that you use grps to connect to the
ppp access point that in turn will give you ip access to the internet.
some operators will make you go via proxy to filter out unwanted
traffic etc. this is more expensive service.

in the case (2) above the phone looks like wireless modem and you need
to dial a "special" phone numer (usually *99, *99***1# or similar) to
ask the phone to make a "grps call".

i'm not exactly sure how this work in your case (never had a cdma
phone :) you need to have some sort of wireless internet access plan
activated on your phone.  you will probably use 1xRTT (instead of
gprs) on cdma network. you also need to make sure that wireless
internet access plan you have allows you to use your treo as wireless
modem. in other words you need to make sure that access point you are
connecting to talk ppp and ip and not wap/whatever. then you will need
to use something called "bluetooth dun profile" on treo (and
rfcomm_pppd(8) on pc).

it seems earlier versions of treo shipped to sprint pcs have bluetooth
dun profile disabled. you need to check with sprint and make sure your
treo supports it - you may need firmware upgrade.

> the laptop and the treo, see open connection via hccontrol
> read_connection_list and so on.  When I start rfcomm_pppd it
> connects to the treo (as shown by hcidump) but the script
> times out.  From the same place I can webbrowse on the treo
> so the signal is good enough.  My suspicion is that the ppp

that tells me that you have wireless internet access plan activated,
however it might not be the right one. i can also see that bluetooth
part seems to be working as well. you need to double check with sprint
to make sure your treo supports bluetooth dun profile.

> chat script is not quite right.  I'd appreciate looking at a
> working script to figure out what may be going wrong.

the script from rfcomm_pppd(8) man page is generic and should work.
i.e. /etc/ppp/ppp.conf should have something like

default:
  set log Phase Chat Connect Local Warning Error Alert

rfcomm-dialup:
  # This is IMPORTANT option
  enable force-scripts

  # You might want to change these
  set authname
  set authkey
  set phone "#777"

  # You might want to adjust dial string as well
  set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \
               \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\dATD\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"
  set login
  set timeout 30
  enable dns
  resolv rewrite

  set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0
  add default HISADDR

===

the "authname" and "authkey" usually not required. "set phone" should
contain "magic" phone number to dial in order to make data
(gprs/1xRTT) connection. it seems that for 1xRTT you need to to send
"ATD#777".

if it does not work then look at /var/log/ppp.log to find out why.

thanks,
max