kismet and atheros

Dan Olson danolson at visi.com
Fri Aug 26 00:53:25 GMT 2005

Michal Mertl wrote:

>>Brad Schonhorst wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using an iBook since OS X came about but recently decided it
>>>was time to give BSD a try.  I picked up a new TINY Fujitsu P7010 and now
>>>have it running FreeBSD 6 - current circa July
>>>
>>>Wireless support was obviously a must for the laptop ( hence running
>>>CURRENT to get support for my Atheros card. )  As someone new to BSD
>>>wireless I was wondering if you guys could share with me some of your
>>>favorite tools for wireless use.  I have been somewhat frustrated with the
>>>steps I currently take to discover new wireless access points.
>>>
>>>To get wireless access:
>>>
>>>1) Run Kismet, find some SSIDs that are open
>>>2) Reboot!  I can't seem to get my card out of Promisc mode otherwise
>>
>>You can control promiscuous mode of a running card with ifconfig ath0
>>[-]promisc. The card may end up also in monitor mode. You can disable
>>monitor mode with ifconfig ath0 mediaopt -monitor.
>

> I've just noticed I wrote the second command wrongly - it's 'ifconfig
> ath0 -mediaopt monitor'.
>
> Michal

On my system after I run kismet and exit, a stray kismet_server is left
running sometimes.  I have to kill -9 its pid.  I then do the command:

ifconfig ath0 -promisc -mediaopt monitor

This returns ath0 to normal and I can use wireless again. This may help
you, Brad.

Thanks Michal with for ifconfig command help.

Dan