kismet and atheros

Brad Schonhorst bschonhorst at vcsnyc.org
Thu Aug 25 01:19:01 GMT 2005

> Brad Schonhorst wrote:
>> I have been using an iBook since OS X came about but recently decided it
>> was time to give BSD a try.  I picked up a new TINY Fujitsu P7010 and
>> now
>> have it running FreeBSD 6 - current circa July
>>
>> Wireless support was obviously a must for the laptop ( hence running
>> CURRENT to get support for my Atheros card. )  As someone new to BSD
>> wireless I was wondering if you guys could share with me some of your
>> favorite tools for wireless use.  I have been somewhat frustrated with
>> the
>> steps I currently take to discover new wireless access points.
>>
>> To get wireless access:
>>
>> 1) Run Kismet, find some SSIDs that are open
>> 2) Reboot!  I can't seem to get my card out of Promisc mode otherwise
>> 3) run ifconfig ath0 ssid = ENTERNAME (other commands as needed)
>> 4) run dhclient
>>
>> Are there any other options, I'd like to avoid rebooting after running
>> Kismet.  I feel like I must be missing something.  ifconfig destroy
>> won't
>> work for some reason, I'm guessing its because the entry comes from
>> Kismet
>> rather than the ifconfig create command.  Any other tools to see what
>> access points are floating around out there?
>>
>> I understand the bsd airtools contains dstumbler but it won't work with
>> the Atheros chipset.  Curious though, do you need to reboot after using
>> dstumbler?
>>
>> I've configured the kernel with ath_rate_onoe, using ATHEROS 5212 Super
>> AG
>> card.
>>
>> -brad
>
> I had this problem with Kismet. An upgrade solved it. I now run 6 Beta2
> from Aug 17.

I just upgrade to the latest - 6 Beta 3 #1 and I'm still having trouble.
If I start kismet, I still cannot get the ath0 interface out of promisc
mode afterwards.  In fact, I can't make any changes to the interface,
can't bring it down either.  The first line I see after shutting down says
'Bringing ath0 out of promiscuous mode';  any idea how i can do that
manually?

One thing I did notice.  If I first connect to an AP and then run kismet,
I seem to be able to go back to that AP connection.

-Brad