kismet and atheros

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Aug 24 04:12:18 GMT 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:18:30PM -0400, Brad Schonhorst wrote:
> I have been using an iBook since OS X came about but recently decided it
> was time to give BSD a try.  I picked up a new TINY Fujitsu P7010 and now
> have it running FreeBSD 6 - current circa July
>
> Wireless support was obviously a must for the laptop ( hence running
> CURRENT to get support for my Atheros card. )  As someone new to BSD
> wireless I was wondering if you guys could share with me some of your
> favorite tools for wireless use.  I have been somewhat frustrated with the
> steps I currently take to discover new wireless access points.
>
> To get wireless access:
>
> 1) Run Kismet, find some SSIDs that are open
> 2) Reboot!  I can't seem to get my card out of Promisc mode otherwise
> 3) run ifconfig ath0 ssid = ENTERNAME (other commands as needed)
> 4) run dhclient
>
> Are there any other options, I'd like to avoid rebooting after running
> Kismet.  I feel like I must be missing something.  ifconfig destroy won't
> work for some reason, I'm guessing its because the entry comes from Kismet
> rather than the ifconfig create command.  Any other tools to see what
> access points are floating around out there?
>
> I understand the bsd airtools contains dstumbler but it won't work with
> the Atheros chipset.  Curious though, do you need to reboot after using
> dstumbler?
>
> I've configured the kernel with ath_rate_onoe, using ATHEROS 5212 Super AG
> card.

You shouldn't need to reboot after running any userland tool.  Ifconfig
doesn't control promisc mode (though I think "ifconfig down ath0" should
do it since it should entierly stop the interface, no promises though
since we aren't very consistance in our flag handling).  We've
made significant change to wireless support since July so I'd recommend
an upgrade as well.

If you just want a list of open APs "ifconfig ath0 scan" should do it.
See the ifconfig manpage on an uptodate system for more options.

-- Brooks