T41 - dualhead with a TV?

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Fri Aug 19 22:08:05 GMT 2005

Hello,

I have a ThinkPad T41, which runs FreeBSD 5.4-stable.
It uses Xorg 6.8.2, and according to the log file, it has a
ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP)  chipset.

I would like to set up a dual head (not xinerama) configuration, using a
TV set as an external display (connected to the S-Video connector).
That way I can show movies on the TV screen, while doing normal desktop
on the LCD.

First, is this possible?

Secondly, where do I find a how-to on this. I have searched Google, but
haven't found any good ones (or maybe I didn't understand them).

Third, and added compilcation; I'm not running startx, X is started from
xdm when I log in.
Ideally, the TV set should "just work" when I plug in the S-Video cable.
Next best would be if the machine detected an attached TV set at boot /
X startup time (that way I could just log out and in again after
connecting the TV), but if that doesn't work, is there some way I can
choose a Xorg config from xdm?
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen,