Dell Wireless 1450 Dual Band WLAN vs Intel PRO/Wireless 2915 WLAN

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Apr 29 15:20:15 PDT 2005

     On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 19:46:12 -0400 Pierre-Luc Drouin
<pldrouin at pldrouin.net> wrote:
>Frank Mayhar wrote:
>
>>Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
>>

>>>Which wireless card should I choose for the best support under FreeBSD?
>>>I've seen that a driver exists on -CURRENT for the Intel card and I
>>>would like if this is the case for the Dell card.
>>>

>>The Dell 1450 is a Broadcom card; there isn't (and won't be) a native
>>driver for it.  You can use the ndis driver, but a better choice would
>>be an Atheros-chipset-based card like the Senao NL-5354MP Aries2.  I
>>have one of those and it works well.  Note that wireless support is a
>>lot better under -current, though, than under -stable.
>>

>Ok, so if I have the choice only between the two I've written, I guess I
>should go with the Intel since there's a FreeBSD driver for it.

     It's worse than that.  I have the Dell 1450 card and have been unable
to get ndis to work with it.  ndiscvt seems to work okay, but errors result
when the driver is to be loaded.  I posted the results to this list and
twice to freebsd-questions, but no one seemed to be able to explain the
meaning of the error messages nor to have a solution.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG