Install on a new Laptop

Phillip J Fry destroyingculture at netspace.net.au
Thu Apr 28 04:51:04 PDT 2005

Hi,
    I am planning to install FreeBSD 5.3 RELEASE on my new Optima
Centoris laptop (Australian company) There is not much documentation for
this model of laptop and the manufacturer offers no support. I have
mandriva linux running without a problem but would like something more
powerfull. I been browsing the supported hadware docs
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/hardware-i386.html
the archives and google/bsd. I have found some information but it is
incomplete. I have three pieces of hardware I am having trouble finding
information about.

Video Chipset : ATI Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9) Lf (AGP)
Some information in the archive but am still lost.

Wireless device : Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter
I have read that I need to download and install a third party driver
from http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ipw/index.html
But to install the driver I have to upgrade to CURRENT, something I am
not really keen on as I am not a developer/hacker. Are there any other
alternatives out there?

IRDA : Laptop IRDA device.
I am not really sure about the manufacturer of the irda device. The
laptop has an Intel 855Pm motherboard and the manufacturer told me that
the irda device was just a peripheral. I have read on the web that the
BIRDA port might be of some use. I need irda so I can connect my laptop
to the internet through my mobile phone while I am on  the road.

The rest of the hardware seems to be supported. Thanks for your time

Phillip J Fry