Intel sound chips kernel configuration problem

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Wed Apr 27 02:10:30 PDT 2005

     On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 15:52:57 +0800 Khairil Yusof <kaeru at pd.jaring.my>
wrote:
>On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 01:53 -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      When xmcd seemed to run okay, but failed to produce any sound, I hun=
>ted
>> around and tried a "kldload snd_driver.ko", which worked and produced the
>> following /dev/sndstat file:
>>=20
>> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
>> Installed devices:
>> pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> at io 0xf8fff800, 0xf8fff400 irq 17 bufsz 16=
>384 kld snd_ich (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)
>
>> Does this mean that there is currently incomplete support for compiling
>> this sound driver into the kernel?  If so, is there a way to automate loa=
>ding
>> of the driver after each boot?
>
>In /boot/loader.conf add:
>
>snd_ich_load=3D"YES" you can do this for other modules such as ndis or ipw

     Thanks much for your reply.  Your suggestion seemed to do what I wanted,
but unfortunately, it gave me a kernel panic 14 seconds into the boot/startup
process.  Maybe I'll just stick the kldload command into /etc/rc.local or
some such thing.
     I'd still like to hear from anyone who knows why the "make depend" before
kernel compilation fails.  (See my original posting above.)
     Also, FWIW, I still haven't figured out how to get ndis to work for the
Dell (Broadcom) 1450 Dual-band Wireless LAN card.  I've posted the problem
twice on freebsd-questions and once here, along with the error messages that
result, but have gotten no useful replies.  I suppose I'll have to try the
freebsd-net list next.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG