Use VGA connector on FreeBSD

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Tue Apr 26 04:57:50 PDT 2005

Pierre-Luc Drouin wrote:
> Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
>
>> Pierre-Luc Drouin writes:
>>
>>> I would like to buy a laptop and I would like to know if this is
>>> usually possible to use the external VGA connector on FreeBSD.
>>

>> It is. That's not OS-dependent.
>>
>> FreeBSD probably cannot switch output destination, but the magic key
>> on the keyboard can (Fn-F10 on my laptop).
>>
>> Arnt
>>
> ok thanks. I had heard of some people unable to use projectors with
> Linux (while it worked on Windows) so I thought it could depend on the
> OS. I had also read that we have to edit de X config file and add the
> configuration parameters for the external monitor/projector so I thought
> the X11 driver had something to do with it.

You can have multiple x.org (or XFree86) config files, and then load the
appropriate one when you start X.  I believe you can also have one
config file, and have two setups in it for screens, and then choose
which one to use when you start X.  People use that feature for dual
screen capabilities.

I have a Dell D610, and I have used the external VGA a few times.  You
can set a different resolution for it too if you want.

Also - the acpi_video module does allow you to turn on/off the different
video ports it finds.  Mine sees all three (VGA, LCD, Svideo).

Eric