profile.sh [was: possible old question - location.sh?]

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Apr 25 05:06:39 PDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:38:34AM +0200, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> > It is still a bit unfinished at the moment, but already works very well
> > (disclaimer: it's mostly me who wrote it). However, a bit of work is needed
> > before it can be considered to be committed. As I am in the final stage of
> > my life at university, I will not have time to do this work now, but I can
> > promise that I will start working on it again no later than July. That's
> > also the reason that it did not show up in the last FreeBSD Status Report,
> > there siimply are no news to report.
>
> I'm a daily user of profile.sh and I'm pretty happy with it ATM.  Could
> you tell us in which ways you want to improve it ?  IMO, the manpage
> needs a bit of rework to be exhaustive and I would be glad to help you
> in concluding this project and see it commited.

Basically the missing stuff is all the tickets on
  https://projects.fsck.ch/profile/
plus one or two modifications i have in mind that simplify changes to
/etc and manual profile selection. Plus tighter integration with power-
management if possible (profile.sh needs to know what triggered a suspend
command, ie low bat, user suspend by command line, lid switch or button).

If you want to help you could either start with some very simple tickets
(#13 or #14) or quite simple ones (#4, #5) or thinking about #2.
If you want to help with powermanagement integration, I can give you a
more detailed description of the problem (nate@ requested one some time
ago, but i don't know if he had time to work on it).
The manpage definitely needs improvements, but i'd like to leave that
until later, because i expect a few things to change in the handling of
profile.sh.

However, I don't have any time to answer questions during the next two
months, so if you want to help, you're on your own until then.

thanks, t.