wireless atheros card problems

Seahawk seahawk at visi.com
Mon Apr 18 03:06:56 PDT 2005

Hello,
I recently bought a Orinoco 11b/g PC Card Gold (model 8470-WD) to
replace a D-Link G650 b/g card.  Both cards used the atheros drivers and
the D-Link worked without any problems with my setup.

The Orinoco card wouldn't associate with my AP when I turned it on.  I
eventually tracked down the problem to the fact that the card won't
associate when I had my AP not broadcasting the ssid, when I turn on
broadcasting I can associate fine.  While this isn't the biggest thing,
I'd prefer to leave broadcasting off, and was wondering if there is some
configuration I'm not aware of?

The other thing I noticed while troubleshooting is that if I issue the
command to put the card in 11b mode I get the following error:

ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA (mode): Device not configured

I saw in another message when searching that this might mean there's a
problem in the ath_hal driver for this card, so I'm wondering if my
previously mentioned problem might also be a driver issue.

I did a buildworld on the system April 13th, and here is the dmesg
output for my card:

ath0: <Atheros 5212> mem 0x88000000-0x8800ffff irq 11 at device 0.0 on
cardbus0
ath0: mac 5.9 phy 4.3 5ghz radio 4.6
ath0: Ethernet address: 00:20:a6:51:d6:66
ath0: 11g rates: 1Mbps 2Mbps 5.5Mbps 11Mbps 6Mbps 9Mbps 12Mbps 18Mbps
24Mbps 36Mbps 48Mbps 54Mbps

I noticed there was no 11b rates line, which my D-Link card had showed
in the dmesg output.

Thanks for any help,

-Chad
seahawk at visi.com