nvidia 1.0-7174 & dell 8600

Ron Freidel rfreidel at onewest.net
Mon Apr 4 21:16:52 PDT 2005

I gave up waiting for nvidia to release a new driver that hopefully
would work on a dell i8600 and installed Arch Linux, went to go download
the nvidia driver and noticed that they had a new driver for FreeBSD
(thats my luck). I checked just before doing the deed too.

My question is... has anyone with a dell i8600 tried it? With 5.3 or 5.4
or even 6? Does it work? Can I go back to my favorite os now?

For those who were unaware, on a dell i8600 with nvidia FX Go5200 and
the nvidia driver the whole machine would lockup when starting X, you
couldn't ssh in or anything, the only thing possible was to power off. I
sure hope they fixed that.

Thanks,
Ron