marks on laptop screens [was: What to buy?]

Tobias Roth roth at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Apr 2 00:39:01 PST 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 01:26:35PM +0800, Erich Dollansky wrote:

> You must check the keyboard - LCD problem with Acers. I have seen some
> Acers with ugly keyboard impressions on the LCD after only a few months
> of usage.

that happenes with almost any modern notebook, if it is carried around
in a slim bag that doesn't protect it appropriately. i have seen it
with Dells, IBMs, Ibooks and Vayos.
since i prefer to carry my laptop around in a common backpack instead of
an actual notebook bag (for fear of theft mainly), i always put a piece
of soft plastic between the screen and the keyboard when i close the
laptop. almost any material will work, even a piece of paper.
i don't think the marks can be avoided by other means, since the laptop
shells are just too flexible these days. but the manufacturers should
notify customers of that problem.

cheers, t.