NDIS with Dell 1450 Dual-Band wireless card

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Apr 1 00:58:36 PST 2005

     In January, I posted the following twice to the freebsd-questions list,
but got no response either time.

>     I'm trying to get wireless connectivity on a Dell Inspiron XPS using
>a Dell 1450 [actually Broadcom] dual-band wireless card by using the NDIS
>facility in 5.3.  Everything *appears* to have compiled and installed okay,
>but after the root file system is mounted after a boot, I get the following:
>
>SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
>Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
>ndis0: <Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card> mem 0xfafec000-0xfafedfff irq 17 at device 3.0 on pci2
>ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
>ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c000138d (unknown error)
>ndis0: NDIS NUMERRORS: 1
>ndis0: argptr: 0x103
>ndis0: init handler failed
>device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6
>
>I do have pccard_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.  The handbook says,
>
>	"Note:  Some Windows drivers require additional files to operate.  You
>	may include them with ndiscvt by using the -f option.  Consult the
>	ndiscvt(8) manual page for more information."
>
>There are many other files and subdirectories in the Windows XP directory
>from which I lifted the bcmwl5.{inf,sys} files.  Are the error messages
>above suggesting that I should have included any others among those files?
>Or is that not the problem?  Any clues to help get this working will be
>appreciated.

     I've made no further progress on the matter since then, but would still
very much like to get it working.  If anyone can suggest what to do about it,
I'd be very grateful.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG