FreeBSD 5.3-BETA6 available

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Tue Sep 28 13:00:19 PDT 2004

> Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:24:24 +0200
> From: Radek Kozlowski <radek at raadradd.com>

> > > I think devfs.conf is the right place for it (assuming /dev/acd0 is your
> > > dvd drive):
> > >
> > > link	acd0	dvd
> > > link	acd0	cdrom
> >
> > I think you missed my point on the creation of symlinks. I have them in
> > devfs.conf, but those operations are only done at boot time. If I have
> > no DVD in my system at boot time and add one later, I need to manually
> > create the symlinks.
>
> Well, for me it's different and I just checked on my system to verify it
> - dvd and cdrom symlinks were created at boot time even though there was
> no media inside, and continue to exist after mounting and umounting a
> cdrom.

I'm afraid that you're still missing the point. I'm not talking about
media. The DRIVE is not present at boot time. No /dev/acd0 to point the
symlink to. I insert the drive and use atacontrol(8) to connect and
/dev/acd0 appear, but no /dev/cdrom. In some platforms ATA disk drives
are just as removable as USB devices.

That's why I thought that devd might be the right approach.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)