ctrl+alt+f1 etc, problems! Acer TravelMate 212TX

Markie mark.cullen at dsl.pipex.com
Sun Sep 26 07:48:15 PDT 2004

Alright so when I try and go from X to a console by pressing ctrl+alt+f key
I have some problems, since the f keys on this laptop have specific
functions assigned to them; for instance f4 is suspend. Now, there is a
function key Fn next to alt which you press to use them kinda things, which
works. However, when I hit ctrl+alt+f4 for example... it'll still try and
suspend for some reason, like the Fn key is being pressed. Alt+F4 works
alright, but I can't use that to switch from X to the console, only from
console to console.

For now I have resorted to trying to to remember to press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to
get back to the console ( which takes 2 hits, because it still tries the
function thing assigned to F1... which doesn't seem to do anything :) ) and
then Alt+F keying to the console I wanted. Can anyone suggest why it might
be doing this? Is it fixable do you think? I'm going to look into getting
dhclient to reconfigure fxp0 after suspend later.. so i'll probably be back
asking for help :)

Other than that, ACPI seems to work, dunno if it suspends properly yet,
sound works, cardbus works (with my intel cardbus thing, still having
troubles with my wireless) .. I think everything works fine after the
ali_agp.c patch. I can get battery level with apm -l and through the ACPI
sysctl, so I assume both APM and ACPI are working correctly.